Pupils and students on organiser and educational institution levels
Description of the data collection
Statistics Finland collects information on the number of pupils and students from organisers of education/teaching with questionnaires on organiser and educational institution levels.
The questionnaire on data on organiser level of education/teaching gather information on
- contact information from all organisers of education/teaching
- actual months of presence in pre-primary education preparing for basic education between 1 August and 31 December 2018 and 1 January and 31 July 2019
- courses completed in comprehensive school education by those over the age of compulsory education between 1 August and 31 December 2018 and 1 January and 31 July 2019
- the number of pupils on 20 September in pre-primary education within day care
- schoolchildren's morning and afternoon activities
- arrangement of education for pupils in compulsory education placed into the municipality concerned and
- arrangement of pre-primary and basic education is surveyed in the municipality.
The questionnaire on pupils and students on educational institution level gather information on each educational institution concerning:
- the number of pupils on the previous school year and the current autumn term
- special education in comprehensive schools and
- subject choices of students in basic education, upper secondary general school education and vocational education.
From whom are data collected?
All organisers of education/teaching fill in their contact information on the questionnaire on data on organiser level of education/teaching. Municipalities in Mainland Finland and registered associations, joint municipal authorities, foundations and state educational institutions that have been granted permission to arrange teaching preparing for basic education fill in the other data on the questionnaire.
The questionnaire on pupils and students on educational institution level is specific for each educational institution and its data suppliers are comprehensive schools (incl. special education schools on the comprehensive school level, comprehensive and upper secondary level schools, also schools abroad), upper secondary general schools, vocational education institutions (incl. vocational special needs education institutions, adult education centres and educational institutions within fire, police and guarding services), music schools and colleges, sports education centres, folk high schools, study centres, and summer universities.
Data for the educational institution level are collected in two phases. The educational institutions first save their data and the organisers of education/teaching verify their correctness. Organisers can print out a summary of the organiser level from the questionnaires on educational institution level. For the summary, the organisers of education/teaching have to notify the educational institutions by which time they have to store their data on the questionnaire on pupils and students on educational institution level.
The data are collected electronically via the Internet with a web questionnaire. The inquiry for the organiser level is open between 10 and 30 September and the inquiry for the educational institution level from 10 September to 10 October. The application may be accessed only by data suppliers who have received a user ID from Statistics Finland.
The Statistics Act 280/2004 (changed 361/2013) obliges Statistics Finland to treat the provided data as confidential.
What are the data used for?
The data are used to produce statistics on preprimary and comprehensive school education, special education of comprehensive school pupils and subject choices of comprehensive school pupils.
The data are used by representatives of the educational administration in the planning and evaluation of education, as well as by organisers of education, and association, researchers and students in the field.
How often are data collected?