The producer price indices for manufactured products are published on the 24th day of the month following the statistical reference month or on the first working day following it. The statistics for November are, however, published on the previous working day because of Christmas. The producer price indices for services are published on the 24th day of the month following the quarter or on the first working day following it.
Releasing of results
The Producer Price Indices are published on the home page of producer price indices for manufactured products and producer price indices for services. Here you can find, for example, releases, database and appendix tables and the description of the statistics.
The published producer price indices' point figures are available in Statistics Finland’s StatFin database service.
A monthly publication is produced of the producer price indices, which can be downloaded free in PDF format from Available products and services on the web page of producer price indices. For the time being, the publication can also be ordered as a chargeable printed version. The producer price indices for services are published quarterly, and the publication is also available under Available products and services on the home page of the statistics.
It is also possible to order special indices that meet the customer's needs from the Producer Price Indices team. A customer-specific index can be compiled for groups of goods that are not included in Statistics Finland's regular index production or classification. Such indices can be produced from all price indices and data from Statistics Finland's other statistics can be combined with them.
Use of the producer price indices
Producer price indices belong to statistics on economic trends that describe the short-term development in various factors and areas of economy.
Producer price indices have the following usages:
- One of the key usages is to function as a deflator in National Accounts calculations for converting the value of production or sales to the volume of production or sales.
- Producer price indices can be used for describing short-term inflationary pressures on various sectors of the economy. Especially central banks and government ministries utilise producer price indices for this purpose. Many enterprises, such as investment banks, can also exploit the data in their macroeconomic forecasting models.
- Producer price indices can be used as an index clause in agreements. An index clause means that the final amount of a payment specified in an agreement is tied to a change in some index.
- Enterprises can use the data of the producer price indices when comparing the price development of their purchases or sales with the average development.
- Data from producer price indices can be combined with other data on business trends, such as those of the Volume Index of Industrial Output in order to analyse business trends more closely.