These statistics have been discontinued.

No new data will be produced from these statistics.

Infrastructure, fixed: Number of fixed telephone subscriber lines, number of subscriber lines per 100 population and share of ISDN channels of all fixed lines in 1990 and 1995-2005

Year Subscriber
lines
Change, % Subscriber
lines/100 pop.
Share of ISDN
channels, %
1990 2,669,697    53.4   
  
1995 2,799,379    54.7 0.8
19961 2,801,924 0.1 54.6 3.0
1997 2,850,374 1.7 55.4 7.0
1998 2,841,497 -0.3 55.1 10.8
1999 2,850,305 0.3 55.1 16.8
2000 2,848,809 -0.1 55.0 21.6
2001 2,806,172 -1.5 54.0 23.3
20022 2,725,607 -2.9 52.4 26.1
2003 2,567,592 -5.8 49.2 30.9
2004 2,390,197 -6.9 45.6 26.4
2005 2,139,713 -10.5 40.7 21.3

1 Revision of the compilation basis of statistics.
2 Number of primary ISDN subscriber lines has been multiplied by 30 to obtain number of channels (multiplier used in 2001 was 25).
Source in 1990-2001: Ministry of Transport and Communications.

The total number of subscriber lines includes both conventional fixed telephone subscriber lines and ISDN subscriber lines converted to channels. Basic rate ISDN subscriber lines, which contain two independent data transmission channels, equal two conventional subscriber lines, while primary rate ISDN subscriber lines, formed of 30 data transmission channels, equal thirty conventional subscriber lines

In 2005, excluding lines to public telephones, approximately 62 per cent of the subscriber lines were in private household or leisure use while the remaining 38 per cent were used for other purposes, such as business


Last updated 1.6.2006

Referencing instructions:

Official Statistics of Finland (OSF): Telecommunications [e-publication].
2005, Infrastructure, fixed: Number of fixed telephone subscriber lines, number of subscriber lines per 100 population and share of ISDN channels of all fixed lines in 1990 and 1995-2005 . Helsinki: Statistics Finland [referred: 14.12.2019].
Access method: http://www.stat.fi/til/tvie/2005/tvie_2005_2006-06-01_tau_003_en.html