Accessibility statement for Statistics Finland's PxWeb databases
Statistics Finland aims to guarantee the accessibility of its web services in accordance with the Act on the Provision of Digital Services (306/2019).
This accessibility statement applies to Statistics Finland's PxWeb databases.
We have assessed the accessibility of the service ourselves.
The accessibility statement was prepared on 11 September 2020 and it was updated on 6 March 2023.
How accessible are Statistics Finland's PxWeb databases?
Statistics Finland's PxWeb databases are partially compliant with the A and AA level accessibility criteria required by law (WCAG criteria 2.1).
If you need such content that you cannot use because of deficiencies in accessibility, please contact Statistics Finland's information services. Email address of information services is firstname.lastname@example.org and telephone number +358 29 551 2220.
What deficiencies are there in the accessibility of Statistics Finland's PxWeb databases?
- The link to the organisation’s web pages is presented as an icon showing a home cottage and it has deficient text alternatives. The functioning of the database is based on three stages: choose a table, choose variables from the table and show the table. These three stages are illustrated by a path shown with icons. The text alternatives of the icons now tell on each page for each stage that the user is right at the stage shown by the icon in question. (WCAG 1.1.1)
- The first level heading is missing from the search result page. In the tables formed by the database the heading of the table is in the heading cell and the screen reader repeats it in connection with each cell, which makes it arduous to listen to the tables with the screen reader software. (WCAG 1.3.1)
- The selections made on the variable selection page of the table are presented by means of colour only. Colour is the only way to convey meaning in the graphs formed by the database. However, the data can be viewed in table format. The current stage of table creation is presented in blue only. (WCAG 1.4.1)
- The contrast in the update dates of table lists is not enough. In the selection boxes the contrast of the colour to the background indicating variable selections is not sufficient. (WCAG 1.4.3)
- When the text only is resized to 200 per cent, part of texts disappear from view or are overlapping. (WCAG 1.4.4)
- The texts are overlapping in the first part of the page in mobile view. (WCAG 1.4.10)
- The contrast of the focus colour with the background is not enough. In statistical graphs where coloured areas are joined to one another, the contrast of adjacent colours is not enough. (WCAG 1.4.11)
- Titles say something about the open page but different pages may have the same title, and the users cannot know from the title which PxWeb database they are using. (WCAG 2.4.2)
- On the page where the table variables are selected, the selection boxes have labels but they also have a label visible only for the screen reader software. The text is different from the name in view. (WCAG 2.5.3)
- The language of the language selections is not determined. (WCAG 3.1.2)
- In some instances, the page is downloaded again without warning when the user changes some value on the page. This is the case in the following instances:
- When the user opens menu items in the main view (tree view) of the database.
- When the user clicks variables on the selection page of the table variables from the drop-down menu for grouping, for example, changes the regional grouping from municipalities to regions.
- When the user changes the presentation mode of data on the presentation page from a table to a graph, for example. (WCAG 3.2.2)
- On the table selection page some boxes have drop-down menus from which the grouping of variables can be changed. In these drop-down menus, a text resembling a label is technically one of the menu alternatives and there is no actual label in the drop-down menu. (WCAG 3.2.3)
- The database code has errors. (WCAG 4.1.1)
- Information on all states of the database’s functions is not communicated to the screen reader. The main view of the database has a list that opens and closes, but information is not conveyed about opening or closing. Information is not conveyed on which stage is active of the three table formation stages. The menu on the presentation page of the table has no messages indicating the opening of the menu items or they are erroneous. Messages appear after a couple of presses. On the selection page of the table the search button for the search function in the selection boxes is made as a link. It may be confusing for the user. (WCAG 4.1.2)
The PxWeb system is developed in cooperation with Nordic statistical institutes. Some of the deficiencies will be corrected in connection with the next version update. The accessibility of the databases will be further improved.
Did you notice any other deficiencies in accessibility?
If you notice any deficiencies in the accessibility of Statistics Finland's PxWeb databases that are not listed on this page, please let us know about it. We will do our best to correct the deficiencies.
You can give us feedback with our feedback form or by email at email@example.com. If you want to give feedback by telephone, call Statistics Finland's information services, tel. +358 29 551 2220.
We will respond to your feedback as soon as possible or within two weeks at the latest.
Accessibility supervision at the Regional State Administrative Agency for Southern Finland
If you notice accessibility problems on the website, start by giving feedback to us, that is, the website administrator. It may take up to 14 days before you receive a response.
If you are not satisfied with the response from us or if you do not receive any response within two weeks, you may file a report with the Regional State Administrative Agency for Southern Finland. The agency website has detailed instructions (in Finnish and Swedish only) on how to file a complaint and how the issue will be processed.
Supervision authority’s contact information
Regional State Administrative Agency for Southern Finland
Accessibility supervision unit
Accessibility requirements web service (in Finnish and Swedish only)
telephone number (switchboard) +358 295 016 000