Accessibility statement for Statistics Finland's data collection forms
Statistics Finland aims to guarantee the accessibility of its web services in accordance with the Act on the Provision of Digital Services (306/2019).
This accessibility statement applies to Statistics Finland's web data collection forms. There are around 50 different forms, and their content and features vary.
The accessibility of the forms made with the XCola and Blaise software has been assessed by Avaava Oy.
We have assessed the accessibility of the forms made with the Posti Messaging software ourselves.
The accessibility statement was prepared on 16 September 2020 and updated on 31.3.2021.
How accessible are the data collection forms?
The forms are not compliant with the A and AA level accessibility criteria required by law (WCAG criteria 2.1). The forms have deficiencies in accessibility that are described in more detail in this statement. Because there are dozens of different forms, the level of accessibility depends on the form.
Why are there accessibility deficiencies in the forms?
The table structure of Blaise forms is a characteristic of the software that Statistics Finland cannot influence. Giving up the table structure of the present forms would require changing the entire software, which is not realistic. In addition, the table structure does not prevent screen reading use even though it slows it down.
The feature cannot be corrected to a fully accessible format as it would constitute a disproportionate burden due to lack of automatic and cost-effective methods. The assessment has taken into account the nature of the activity and the needs of persons with disabilities to use the service (Act on the Provision of Digital Services, Section 8).
Accessibility of Blaise forms is developed in cooperation with Statistics Netherlands CBS, owner of the Blaise software. Towards the end of 2020, CBS will release the next version of the software in which accessibility has been improved.
There are several dozens of XCola forms. Some of the non-accessible features are form-specific. The corrections will be made to one form at a time.
Eight forms have been made with the Posti Messaging system, and the oldest ones have been prepared more than 10 years ago. They will mainly be transferred to another software and accessibility corrections will be made in connection with the transfer.
In the assessment, we have taken into account the needs of people with disabilities to use our data collection forms. We also take into consideration the numbers of form users and the frequency of use.
If you are responding to a data collection the web form of which you are unable to use due to deficiencies in accessibility, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
What deficiencies are there in the accessibility of the data collection forms?
- There are some problems with contrasts in the Posti Messaging forms. (WCAG 1.4.3, 1.4.11)
- On the login page of the forms and on XCola forms and some Posti Messaging forms, the focus does not first go to the top of the page but directly to a functional section. (WCAG 1.3.2 and 2.4.3).
- On the login page and on XCola and Posti Messaging forms some fields do not have labels and not all questions are linked to the response alternatives. (WCAG 1.1.1 and 1.3.1)
- On XCola, Blaise and Posti Messaging forms, all dynamic content cannot be found with a screen reader. (WCAG 4.1.2)
- Tooltips are not operable on XCola and Posti Messaging form (WCAG 1.4.13)
- On XCola and Posti Messaging forms the HTML code is not fully suitable for a screen reading program. (WCAG 1.3.1 and 4.1.2)
- The required nature of all fields is not marked on XCola and Posti Messaging forms. (WCAG 3.3.2).
- On XCola and Posti Messaging forms all elements of the forms are not keyboard accessible. (WCAG 2.1.1 and 2.1.2.)
In addition, on Blaise questionnaire forms
- The table structure of the form is not suitable for a screen reading program. (WCAG 1.3.1)
In addition, on XCola forms
- One XCola form has a list that shows the pre-filling/unfinished status of the sections only in colour. (WCAG 1.4.1)
- Error messages do not indicate where the error is and the erroneous field is marked only in colour. (WCAG 3.3.1, 1.4.1)
- The forms contain some identical link texts that are not linked to headings. (WCAG 2.4.4)
- The main page does not have the jump to main content link or a breadcrumb trail. (WCAG 2.4.5 and 3.2.3)
- On some of the forms drop-down menus do not function with a screen reader and/or keyboard. (WCAG 2.1.1, 4.1.1 and 4.1.2)
In addition, on Posti Messaging forms
- In some forms the buttons are not properly named. (WCAG 1.3.1)
- No jump to main content link, breadcrumb trail or page map. (WCAG 2.4.5 and 3.2.3)
Did you notice any other deficiencies in accessibility?
If you notice any deficiencies in the accessibility of the forms that are not listed on this page, you can give feedback with our feedback form or by email to email@example.com. If you want to give feedback by telephone, call Statistics Finland's information services, tel. +358 29 551 2220 We will respond to your feedback as soon as possible or within two weeks at the latest.
Accessibility supervision at the Regional State Administrative Agency for Southern Finland
If you notice accessibility problems on the website, start by giving feedback to us, that is, the website administrator. It may take up to 14 days before you receive a response.
If you are not satisfied with the response from us or if you do not receive any response within two weeks, you may file a report with the Regional State Administrative Agency for Southern Finland. The agency website has detailed instructions (in Finnish and Swedish only) on how to file a complaint and how the issue will be processed.
Supervision authority’s contact information
Regional State Administrative Agency for Southern Finland
Accessibility supervision unit
Accessibility requirements web service (in Finnish and Swedish only)
telephone number (switchboard) +358 295 016 000