Statistics Finland's operating principles
In its activity, Statistics Finland complies with the international principles of statistics. In addition, the activity is steered by the principles and guidelines based on the EU's General Data Protection Regulation and good service practices, for example.
Principles of official statistics
The principles approved by the United Nations Statistics Division define the rights and duties of producers of official statistics in society and the most important principles when compiling and publishing statistics, such as reliability and statistical data protection.
- Fundamental Principles of Official Statistics in Finnish (PDF)
- Fundamental Principles of Official Statistics (on the pages of the United Nations Statistics Division in English)
Statistics Finland's principles of professional ethics comply with the Declaration on Professional Ethics of the International Statistical Institute (ISI), which contains the ethical obligations for all persons working in the field of statistics towards society, customers and partners. Statistics Finland's guide on professional ethics is based on the ISI declaration.
- Declaration on Professional Ethics (PDF, in Finnish)
- International Statistical Institute (ISI) Declaration on Professional Ethics (on ISI pages in English)
- Statistics Finland's guide on professional ethics
Publication principles for statistics
Publication principles for statistics at Statistics Finland apply, for example, to how and when statistics are published, as well as the confidentiality of data prior to publication.
Practices when changes are made to statistical data
The European statistical community has agreed on the practices that guide the making of changes to statistics and communicating about such changes.
On that basis, Statistics Finland has compiled detailed instructions on revisions made to statistical data.
Data protection principles
Statistics Finland's data protection principles ensure that data on individual data suppliers are confidential.
The Conference of European Statisticians of the United Nations' Economic Commission for Europe has compiled the principles and guidelines concerning the confidentiality of statistical data and the use of unit-level data.
- Statistics Finland's data protection principles
- The UN's principles and guidelines in English (UNECE's pages, PDF)
- The UN's principles and guidelines in Finnish (unofficial translation into Finnish, PDF)
Customer service principles
Statistics Finland's customer service principles require that data users are heard and served efficiently.