Vocational education refers to initial or further vocational education leading to a vocational qualification. Initial vocational education is education leading to upper secondary level vocational qualifications. Initial vocational education can be curriculum-based education or preparatory education for a skills examination. For a number of years now, no new students have been admitted to post-secondary or higher level of vocational education.
Education leading to further or specialist vocational qualifications are further vocational education. These are always preparatory education for a skills examination and the qualifications are based on skills examinations. Vocational education is organised both as education provided by educational institutions and as apprenticeship training. Apprenticeship training is a work-dominated form of studying in which the majority of vocational skills are learned at a workplace and then supplemented with theoretic knowledge studies, usually at an educational institution. An apprenticeship contract is an employment contract between a student and an employer.
Statistics using the definition
Validity of the definition
- Valid until (31 December 2078)
- New student
- Apprenticeship training
- Preparatory vocational education for a skills examination
- Preparatory initial vocational education for a skills examination
- Preparatory education for specialist vocational qualifications
- Initial vocational education
- Curriculum-based basic vocational education
- Further vocational education