Share of biofuels in energy consumption in road transport rose to 18 per cent in 2021
According to Statistics Finland's preliminary data, energy consumption in domestic transport amounted to 171 petajoule (PJ) in 2021, growing by 3.0 per cent from one year ago. Of this, the share of road transport was the biggest, 93 per cent. The share of liquid biofuels rose in road transport to 18 per cent. The combined share of other alternative energy sources, natural gas and liquefied natural gas (LNG), and biogas and electricity in transport rose to three per cent.
- Energy consumption in domestic transport totalled 171 PJ in 2021, growing by 3.0 per cent from one year ago. Of this amount, road transport consumed 93 %. The consumption of energy sources in road transport increased by 3.6 per cent from the year before.
- Energy consumption in domestic water transport grew by six per cent and in rail transport by one per cent, while the consumption in domestic air transport decreased by 27 per cent.
- The share of liquid biofuels in all energy sources in road transport rose to 18 per cent in 2021. In 2020, the corresponding share was 11 per cent.
- Diesel fuel accounted for 104 PJ in road transport in 2021, making up 66 per cent of all energy sources in road transport. Biogenic diesel accounted for 22 per cent of the volume of diesel fuel. The share of motor gasoline was 33 per cent of energy sources in road transport. The bio share of motor gasoline was nine per cent.
- In 2021, electricity as an energy source in road transport amounted to 0.5 per cent and biogas to 0.3 per cent. The consumption of electricity in road transport increased by 13 per cent and that of biogas by 26 per cent.