Published: 10 December 2020

Environmental goods and services sector has grown significantly in energy production in recent years

The turnover from Finland's environmental goods and services sector was EUR 41 billion in 2019. Good 160,000 staff-years were made in the environmental goods and services sector. The value of exports was close on EUR nine billion and the value added reached almost EUR 16 billion, which is close on eight per cent of the value added of the entire national economy. In energy production, the turnover of the environmental goods and services sector has grown by over 20 per cent from 2013. These data derive from Statistics Finland’s statistics on the environmental goods and services sector.

Turnover of the environmental goods and services sector by industry 2018 and 2019, billion euros

Turnover of the environmental goods and services sector by industry 2018 and 2019, billion euros

The turnover of the biggest industry of the environmental goods and services sector, construction, was more than EUR 13 billion in 2019. This is one-third of the whole environmental goods and services sector. Nearly 58,000 staff-years were worked in construction and its value added was good EUR four billion.

In the industry of energy production the turnover of the environmental goods and services sector has grown by 23 per cent since 2013. The growth is due to increased use of renewable energy sources in production. Of these, especially the use of wood-based fuels in heat production and the use of wind power in electricity production have grown significantly.

In 2019, the majority of the turnover from the environmental goods and services sector, 85 per cent, was connected to resource management and the remaining 15 per cent to environmental protection. The clearly biggest product category of the environmental goods and services sector was management of energy resources with a turnover of over EUR 21 billion. The next largest product categories were management of minerals, turnover over EUR five billion and management of forest resources with a turnover of over EUR three billion.


Source: Environmental goods and services sector 2019, Statistics Finland

Inquiries: Sami Hautakangas 029 551 3791, ymparistotilinpito@tilastokeskus.fi

Head of Department in charge: Mari Ylä-Jarkko

Publication in pdf-format (295.9 kB)

Tables

Tables in databases

Appendix tables

Figures

Updated 10.12.2020

Referencing instructions:

Official Statistics of Finland (OSF): Environmental goods and services sector [e-publication].
ISSN=1799-5108. 2019. Helsinki: Statistics Finland [referred: 20.1.2022].
Access method: http://www.stat.fi/til/ylt/2019/ylt_2019_2020-12-10_tie_001_en.html