Energy supply and consumption: documentation of statistics
Basic data of the statistics
The statistics on energy supply and consumption present data on total energy consumption, production and consumption of electricity, and imports and exports of energy.
Unit of measure
The used size categories are kilo (k, 103), mega (M, 106), giga (G, 109), tera (T, 1012) and peta (P, 1015).
The statistics cover on the level of Finland data on total energy consumption by energy source, final energy consumption by sector, acquisition and production of electricity by energy source, consumption of electricity by sector, imports and exports of energy products by country, consumption of fossil and renewable fuels, production and consumption of district heat, and energy consumption intransport.
- Total energy consumption: annual data starting from 1970 and quarterly data from 2010.
- Electricity supply and consumption: annual data starting from 1960 and quarterly data from 1990.
- Imports and exports of energy: annual and quarterly data starting from 2010.
- Energy consumption in transport: annual data starting from 1990.
- Production and consumption of district heat: annual data starting from 1970.
- Final energy consumption by sector: annual data starting from 1970.
- Production and consumption of biogas by plant type: annual data starting from 2017.
- CO2 emissions from fuel combustion: annual data starting from 1970 and quarterly data from 2010.
Frequency of dissemination
12-month moving total
For example, the 12-month moving total for March is obtained by adding up data from the beginning of the previous year's April until the end of the current's year's March. Respectively, the total for April is obtained by adding up data from the beginning of the previous year's May until the end of the current year's April. Thus, the difference between the 12-month moving totals of April and March gives the difference between the previous year's and the current year's data for April.
Final energy consumption
Heating degree day (HDD)
- Refinery gas (1111)
- LPG (Liquefied petroleum gas) (1112)
- Naphtha (1121)
- Aviation gasoline (1123)
- Kerosene (jet fuel) (1131)
- Other kerosenes (1132)
- Light fuel oil (heating fuel oil) (1134)
- Gasoil (for non-road use) (1135)
- Other medium distillates (1139)
- Heavy fuel oil, sulphur content < 1% (1141)
- Heavy fuel oil, sulphur content = 1% (1142)
- Other heavy distillates (1143)
- Petroleum coke (1150)
- Recycled and waste oils (1160)
- Other petroleum products (1190).
Other energy sources
- Vegetable-based fuels (3170)
- Animal-based fuels (3180)
- Landfill gas (3211)
- Biogas from wastewater treatment (3212)
- Industrial biogas (3213)
- Other biogas (3219)
- Liquid biofuels (3220)
- Recovered fuels (3231)
- Demolition wood (3232)
- Impregnated wood (chemically treated) (3233)-
- Other mixed fuels (3239)
- Gasified waste (3240)
- Plastics waste (4911)
- Rubber waste (4912)
- Hazardous waste (4913)
- Other waste (4919)
- Exothermic heat from industry (4920)
- Electricity, used in electric boilers and heat pumps (4940)
- Hydrogen (4980)
- Other non-specified energy sources (4990).
- Milled peat (2110)
- Sod peat (2120)
- Peat pellets and briquettes (2130).
Total energy consumption
- Firewood (stems and split firewood) (3111)
- Chips from roundwood (3112)
- Forest residue chips (3113)
- Bark (3121)
- Sawdust, cutter shavings etc. (3122)
- Wood residue chips (3123)
- Unspecified industrial wood residue (3128)
- Other industrial wood residue (3129)
- Black liquor and other concentrated liquors (3130)
- Other by-products from wood processing industry (3140)
- Recovered wood (3150)
- Wood pellets and briquettes (3160).
Accuracy, reliability and timeliness
Data revision - practice
Errors are corrected and the users are informed about them as quickly as possible. Statistics Finland informs about significant errors to the same extent and through the same channels as in the releasing of the original data.
Notations about corrections and their points of time are added to the corrected releases. Notations of corrections are added to the table reference section in the StatFin tables.
Comparability - geographical
Comparability - over time
Coherence - cross domain
Coherence - sub-annual and annual statistics
Coherence - internal
Source data and data collections
The key data used in the production of the statistics are:
- Statistics Finland’s own data collections:
- Inquiry on sales and production of peat. The data collection concerns the biggest producers of peat, which cover around 85 per cent of all production and sales of peat. The inquiry collects data on the sales and volume of production of milled and sod peat.
- Sales and inventory collection of liquid fuels. The inquiry includes the most significant enterprises in the field of oil and biofuel. The inquiry collects data on the sales of oil and bioliquids by product category and on the volume of inventories.
- Inquiry on fuels in manufacturing. The inquiry includes all groups in the forest industry with significant use of fuels. The inquiry collects data on the monthly use of fuels by groups.
- Inquiry on production and consumption of biogas. The inquiry collects data on the volume, use, sales and raw materials of biogas production. The distributors of transport biogas are asked about the acquisition and sources of biogas and the sales of biogas by type and quality of gas. The inquiry includes biogas production plants (landfills, industrial and municipal wastewater treatment plants, co-digestion plants and farms) and distributors of transport biogas.
- Inquiry on use and storage of hard coal. The inquiry covers significant enterprises consuming and storing hard coal as fuel in energy production. The inquiry collects data on the consumption of hard coal and the size of stocks of hard coal.
- Inquiry on production of heat. The inquiry on heat production collects data on the production, acquisition and consumption of industrial and district heat in the plant area and on fuels consumed in production. The inquiry concerns producers of heat whose annual production totals 10,000 megawatt hours (MWh) or whose heat production capacity is at least five megawatts (MW).
- Data of the Energy Authority:
- Emissions trading data. The data contain data on carbon dioxide emissions and fuel consumption in combustion plants with a capacity of over 20 MW and in some steel, mineral and forest industry plants and processes.
- Data of Finnish Energy:
- Inquiry on production and use of electricity. The inquiry annually collects data by type of plant on production of electricity and heat produced in connection with electricity, as well as fuels consumed for production. In practice, the data cover all electricity networks and the electricity sold through them.
- District heating statistics. The statistics contain data on the production of district heat, fuels consumed on production and the use of heat by sector. In addition, statistical data have been collected from those heat suppliers that sell the heat they produce for delivery to the end customers of district heating plants included in the statistics.
- Foreign trade statistics of Finnish Customs. The statistics contain data on Finland's international trade broken down by CN heading. The foreign trade statistics provide data on the volumes of imports and exports of energy products.
- Natural Resources Institute Finland
- Statistics on wood in energy generation. The statistics belong to the Official Statistics of Finland (OSF). The statistics contain annual data on the use of solid wood fuels in heat and power plants.
- Tax Administration. The Tax Administration provides data on the amounts of taxes and tax-like payments collected on fuels, peat and natural gas and the amounts of fuels directed at them as energy.
- Finnish Natural Gas Association. The Finnish Natural Gas Association delivers annual data on the volume of natural gas fed into the national network and on the volume of natural gas consumption in industry, transport and space heating.
- Statistics Finland's Greenhouse gas inventory unit. The greenhouse gas inventory unit calculates annual data on carbon dioxide emissions caused by the energy use of fuels.
Frequency of data collection
- Inquiry on sales and production of peat: sales data by quarter, production data annually
- Inquiry on sales and inventories of oil: monthly
- Inquiry on fuels in manufacturing: quarterly
- Inquiry on production and consumption of biogas: yearly
- Inquiry on consumption of hard coal: quarterly
- Inquiry on heat production (LATU): yearly
Cost and burden
Principles and outlines
Contact organisation unit
Economic Statistics/Energy, environment and greenhouse gases
Legal acts and other agreements
Statistics Finland compiles statistics in line with the EU’s regulations applicable to statistics, which steer the statistical agencies of all EU Member States.
Further information: Statistical legislation
Confidentiality - policy
Further information: Data protection | Statistics Finland (stat.fi)
Confidentiality - data treatment
The use of the data for scientific research and statistical surveys is possible only on the basis of a separate decision on user licence and in unidentifiable form. Further information about user licences.
Further information: Publication principles for statistics at Statistics Finland
The data of the statistics are supplied to Eurostat in connection with the monthly and annual reports and Eurostat releases the data on its web pages. Finland reports energy statistics to the International Energy Agency IEA.
Accessibility and clarity
In addition to statistical data published in the StatFin database, a release on the key data is usually published in the web service. If the release contains data concerning several reference periods (e.g. monthly and annual data), a review bringing together these data is published in the web service. Database tables updated at the time of publication are listed both in the release and in the review. In some cases, statistical data can also be published as mere database releases in the StatFin database. No release or review is published in connection with these database releases.
Releases and database tables are published in three languages, in Finnish, Swedish and English. The language versions of releases may have more limited content than in Finnish.
Information about changes in the publication schedules of releases and database tables and about corrections are given as change releases in the web service.
Data revision - policy
The reason why data in statistical releases become revised is often caused by the data becoming supplemented. Then the new, revised statistical figure is based on a wider information basis and describes the phenomenon more accurately than before.
Revisions of statistical data may also be caused by the calculation method used, such as annual benchmarking or updating of weight structures. Changes of base years and used classifications may also cause revisions to data.
Quality management requires comprehensive guidance of activities. The quality management framework of the field of statistics is the European Statistics Code of Practice (CoP). The frameworks complement each other. The quality criteria of Official Statistics of Finland are also compatible with the European Statistics Code of Practice.
Further information: Quality management | Statistics Finland (stat.fi)
Further information: Publication principles for statistics
Are you looking for previously published documentation?
The documentation released before 5.4.2022 can be found on the archive pages of the statistics.Go to the archive page